Born on December 27, 1965 Salman Khan is the son of the legendary writer Salim Khan, who penned many super-hits in the yesteryear’s like Sholay (1975), Deewar (1975), and Don (1978). Salman started his acting carrier in 1988 by doing a supporting role in the movie Biwi Ho To Aisi (1988).
Read and know all about the Bollywood superstar Salman Khan.
|Born||in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Birth Name||Abdul Rashid Salim Salman Khan|
Rambo of India
The Sylvester Stallone of India
The Tiger of Bollywood
Robin Hood Khan
|Height||5′ 8½” (1.74 m)|
Mini Bio (1)
Born on December 27, 1965, Salman Khan is the son of the legendary writer Salim Khan, who penned many super-hits in the yesteryear’s like Sholay (1975), Deewar (1975), and Don (1978). Salman started his acting carrier in 1988 by doing a supporting role in the movie Biwi Ho To Aisi (1988). The following year he had the leading role in the box office romantic hit Maine Pyar Kiya (1989). From there he became a heartthrob of Indian cinema.
Following with other box office hits he showed his terrific performance in Saajan (1991), Andaz Apna Apna (1994), Hum Aapke Hain Koun…! (1994), Karan and Arjun (1995), Khamoshi: The Musical (1996), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998). His transformations can be sensitive, vulnerable, funny, aggressive and charming as his role demands.
Being known for those roguish behaviours, he tried to balance his troubled life with his career. In 2003, he gave his emotionally charged performance as playing an obsessed lover in Tere Naam (2003) that translated into good reviews and a good run at the box office. He not only managed to revive his career but also to restore the confidence of his producers and distributors alike.
His work was noticed internationally in the movie Phir Milenge (2004) where he played the role of an AIDS patient. It was well appreciated by the World Health Organization (WHO) for presenting the problems of AIDS patient in today’s world.
In 2007, he launched Being Human – Salman Khan Foundation. This charitable organization aids the underprivileged in areas such as education and health-care.
Trade Mark (5)
- Arrested and jailed for poaching endangered wild animals after allegedly shooting a rare black antelope near Jodhpur. [October 1998]
- Frequently gets rid of his T-Shirt in his films to show his muscles.
- Hindi megastar
- One of the four Khans that ruled Bollywood from the 1990s onwards.
- Son of Salim Khan, half of the famed Salim-Javed writing team.
- Frequently visits sick children in hospitals, and also goes often to donate blood.
- Exercises daily. Feels the day was incomplete without a workout.
- Loves visiting London.
- Was voted 7th best-looking man in the world by People Magazine.
- May 2015: Salman Khan was sentenced to five years in jail, within days the High Court suspended Khan’s prison sentence while he prepared to appeal his conviction.
- November 2015: The high court appeals judge ruled there was not enough evidence; Khan is acquitted of all charges.
- Had a well-publicised affair with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan which lasted 2 years.
- Was accused in a press conference in spring 2003 by Vivek Oberoi (who was reportedly seeing Aishwarya Rai at the time) to have called the latter 41 times during one night and threatened him with death as well. Vivek Oberoi has later apologized to Salman and his family multiple times publicly for his actions.
- Elder Brother of Sohail Khan, Arbaaz Khan, Alvira Khan and Arpita Khan Sharma.
- Not only is he a health freak, he also loves to initiate people who aren’t as health-conscious as himself into workouts. He forced co-star Anil Kapoor to work out at the gymnasium every day. While Saif Ali Khan and Hrithik Roshan are his early trainees.
- His favourite actor is Sylvester Stallone.
- Model turned actress Malaika Arora is his former sister-in-law. Actor turned director Atul Agnihotri is his brother-in-law.
- He was an excellent swimmer in his school days and was even tipped for representing the country one day.
- In his early days as a struggling actor, he never used his father’s name and influence like many other heroes with relatives in the industry. He used to visit producers on his own and audition for roles.
- Always believes in giving newcomers a chance. So he spares time in between shots to listen to their script ideas and credits this to his memory of when he was a newcomer.
- Has a mannequin of himself in Madame Tussaud’s Museum in England.
- All time favourite actress is Hema Malini.
- Highest paid Bollywood Star.
- Was the first Bollywood Star to work in the Hollywood film industry and his debut film was Marigold: An Adventure In India, which costars Ali Larter.
- All-time favourite actors are Megastars Dharmendra and Shatrughan Sinha.
- Brother-in-law of Seema Sachdev Khan and Aayush Sharma.
- Was working as a model before he became a successful actor and television host.
- He is an excellent painter.
- Father’s name is Salim Khan, mother’s name is Salma Khan and stepmother’s name is Helen.
- Has 5 nephews, Aydan, Arhaan, Nirvaan, Yohan, Ahil, and 1 niece, Alizeh.
- Has his own non-profit charitable foundation, Being human – The Salman Khan Foundation, whose emphasis is on health care and education. Proceeds from the sale of watches he has designed, paintings he has done, and the Being human t-shirts go to the foundation.
- Works frequently with brothers Arbaaz and Sohail Khan, and brother-in-law Atul Agnihotri.
- Lives in Galaxy Apartment in Bandra, Mumbai, India with his family.
- Wears a Feroza (turquoise) stone bracelet on his right-hand wrist which was gifted to him by his father. He believes very strongly that it wards off the evil forces around him, and keeps him safe from the evil eyes. He has been wearing it for the past 15 years.
- Holds the record for having the highest grossing film of the year 8 times, a feat no other actor has yet achieved till date.
- He is very good friends with Sooraj Barjatya and his entire family, Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt, Anil Kapoor, Shahrukh Khan, Kabir Khan, Mini Mathur and David Dhawan. His other friends include Govinda, Rani Mukerji, Jackie Shroff, Prabhu Deva, Karisma Kapoor, Mithun Chakraborty, Farah Khan, Sajid-Wajid, Himesh Reshammiya, Akshay Kumar, Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Katrina Kaif, Bhushan Kumar, Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol, Shatrughan Sinha and family, and Sushmita Sen amongst many others. He also has many friends from the South Indian Film Industry like Chiranjeevi, Nagarjuna Akkineni, Venkatesh Daggubati, Vikram, Mahesh Babu, Shriya Saran, Ram Charan Teja and many more.
- He is known to help newcomers into the industry. During Shahrukh Khan’s struggling days an actor he provided him and his wife with a roof over their heads. He trained Hrithik Roshan for his first movie, had a big hand in the careers of now super composers Sajid-Wajid and Himesh Reshamiyya, helped Katrina Kaif, Aishwarya Rai, Zarine Khan, Sneha Ullal, Sonakshi Sinha and Hazel Keech. He also helped revive Govinda’s struggling career with the blockbuster “Partner” and worked in many of his brother’s films, giving them hits such as “Ready”, “Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya” and “Dabbang”. He brought director Sanjay Leela Bhansali to the limelight by taking on his debut film “Khamoshi” and then giving him commercial success for the 1999 blockbuster “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam”.
- His favourite singers are Sunidhi Chauhan and Sonu Nigam.
- His film Ek Tha Tiger and Dabangg 2 broke all box office records upon their releases. It has the highest grossing first day amount as well as the first week. It is the fastest bollywood film to pass the 100 crore mark, achieving the feat in a record breaking 5 days. This new triumph has established Khan as one of the biggest superstars in Hindi cinema history. It is now the second highest grossing Hindi film of all time, barely two weeks into its release.
- He is the only actor to have had twelve back to back 100 Crore plus films. Dabangg (2010), Ready (2011), Bodyguard (2011), Ek Tha Tiger (2012), Dabangg 2 (2012), Jai Ho (2014), Kick (2014), Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015), Sultan (2016), Tubelight (2017), Tiger Zinda Hai (2017) and Race 3 (2018). His film Wanted (2009) grossed around 100 Crore plus at the Indian Box Office and even did great business at the International Box Office.
- Favorite Cricketer is Yuvraj Singh.
- In most of Salman’s films his character name has been Prem and more recently Radhe and Chulbul Pandey has now been synonymous with him.
- Suffers from trigeminal neuralgia, a facial nerve disorder commonly known as the suicide disease. In an interview he said that he has been quietly suffering it for the past seven years (it started when he began filming for Partner), but now the pain’s become unbearable. It has even affected his voice, making it much harsher. ”Currently” the condition is being treated on a regular basis, where he visits doctors when they call him for a checkup every month.
- Started shooting for his first film Biwi Ho To Aisi (1988) on September 9, 1987.
- Studied acting at popular actress Daisy Irani’s acting institute along with his friends Sajid Khan and Chunky Pandey.
- He has delivered Six Super Hits in four years (2009 to 2012), grossing over Rs 850 Crores.
- Formed popular on screen pairings with Bhagyashree, Karisma Kapoor, Nagma, Rambha, Kareena Kapoor, Rani Mukerji, Neelam Kothari, Ayesha Takia, Madhuri Dixit, Asin, Preity Zinta, Bhoomika Chawla, Sushmita Sen, Zareen Khan, Dia Mirza, Sonali Bendre, Jacqueline Fernandez, Sonakshi Sinha and Shilpa Shetty Kundra.
- He gives bicycles to kids, always gives money to the needy and even blankets to people who sleeps on the street at night. He always helps a certain foundation or an association, and he does it privately and does not involve the media.
- On 10 April 2006, he was sentenced to five years in jail for poaching. On 13 April he was granted bail. When he was in jail, people prayed for him, fasted for him, gave food to him in jail, they also tried to visit him in jail.
- Rarely drives cars Most of the time he is found at the front passenger seat of his cars and is chauffeured around by drivers.
- Apart from the very famous Galaxy apartment that Salman Khan lives in, the actor also owns a farmhouse in Panvel and a house in Hydra Towers, Jumeirah Village, Dubai.
- Salman was offered Baazigar (1993) by Abbas-Mustan, but turned down the film after the makers refused to accommodate changes suggested by his father Salim Khan. The role went to Shah Rukh Khan.
- He has painted the Jai Ho posters – and is a talented artist. Some people suggest that he has taken after his mother Salma Khan, who is an artist too. Salman is also passionate about photography.
- Salman has delivered Top 2 biggest grossers of the year three times. Hum Saath Saath Hain and Biwi No. 1 in 1999, Bodyguard and Ready in 2011, Ek Tha Tiger and Dabangg 2 in 2012.
- Has 3 chauffeurs namely Ashok Singh, Altaf Khan and Dutta.
- The actor is rarely seen without his chunky bracelet with a blue stone and the accessory is now as much a part of Salman’s pop culture oeuvre as his shiny, slippery chest. The bracelet is a Khan family tradition with Sallu’s father Salim Khan too sporting one.
- Whenever Salman has a strong urge, he pours out an alcoholic drink and keeps the glass in front of him. But he never takes a sip. He just sits with it and after a while the urge subsides.
- Has announced that his Being Human (BH) charitable organisation will help “100 genuine patients” suffering from heart condition by providing them free treatment (2014).
- Salman wears a locket inscribed with the Ayatul Kursi (verses from the Quran that are supposed to ward off all evil). He also wears it in his recently released film, Kick (2014).
- Salman is the only Bollywood Star to have his 7 films earn more than Rs 100 crores in a row. Salman first entered the club four years ago, with his cult film ‘Dabangg’. Directed by Abhinav Kashyap and produced by Arbaaz Khan under the Arbaaz Khan Productions, the film made over Rs 143 crores. His next films ‘Ready’ (2011) and ‘Bodyguard’ (2011) crossed the Rs 100 crore mark with net collections of Rs 122 crore and Rs 145 crore respectively. His next film ‘Ek Tha Tiger’ earned over where Salman played a spy, opposite Katrina Kaif, was followed by ‘Dabangg 2’, where he thrilled the audience once again, as inspector Chulbul Pandey. According to media reports, these films made Rs 310 crore and Rs 251 crore, respectively. His more recent hit ‘Jai Ho’, even if it was panned by the critics, made over Rs 126 crore. This was followed by ‘Kick’ which joined the Rs 100 crore club on Eid.
- Brother Sohail Khan is married to Chunky Pandey’s niece Seema.
- Was offered Vicky Arora’s role in Yalgaar (1992).
- Was engaged to model and beauty queen Shaheen Jaffrey. Shaheen is the daughter of actress Bharti Jaffrey and Hamid Jaffrey (Sayeed Jaffrey’s brother). Shaheen is also the granddaughter of Ashok Kumar (Mother Bharti’s father). Shaheen is the aunt to actress Kiara Advani (Sister’ s daughter). Shaheen was a assistant to Mahesh Bhatt in the film Maarg. Shaheen Jaffrey is always mistaken as Dilip Kumar’s actress niece Shaheen who acted in the film Mahasangram in 1990. This is due to them both having the same name.
- Went for a world tour concert with Aamir Khan, Juhi Chawla, in October 1992. They went to cities in the countries of Canada, America and England.
- Went for a world tour concert with Dharmendra , Aamir Khan , Vivek Mushran and Pooja Bhatt in September 1993. They went to cities in Canada, America and England.
- Went for a world tour concert with Bobby Deol, Saif Ali Khan, Raveena Tandon, Sonali Bendre and Mallika Arora in April 2000. They visited cities in Canada, America and England.
- Went for a world tour concert with Akshay Kumar in June 1995. They visited cities in Canada , America, England.
- Went for a world tour concert with Sanjay Dutt, Mahima Chaudhary and Karishma Kapoor in May 1998. They visited cities in Canada, America and England.
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015) released on July 17, 2015 (Friday) and turned out to be the biggest pre Eid opener for Salman. The film collected a whopping amount of INR 27.25 crore on its first day beating the record of his previous film Kick (2014) which had made INR 26.40 crore on its opening day.
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015) has not only taken over Box Office in India but is doing the same oversees as well. Trade analyst Taran Adarsh gave the figures of the film’s business in countries like Australia, New Zealand and USA. Bajrangi Bhaijaan managed to break the opening weekend records of Kick (2014) across the border.
- Salman’s latest release has broken all records by becoming the biggest Bollywood opener of 2015. The film collected Rs 27.25 crore on its opening day, beating previous record of Varun Dhawan’s ABCD 2 that had collected Rs 14.30 crore on its first day.
- With its roaring box office success, BB was estimated to collect a sum of Rs $ 700k on Friday in USA as well as Canada. The venture earned the 10th position on this week’s box office chart in USA, beating Ian McKellen’s Mr Holmes (2015).
- He was a bonafide star, but he had to wait till 2009 to obtain the superstar status and the unreal level of mass adulation he enjoys today. That year, with the release of Wanted, Salman crossed the Rs 100-crore barrier. It was also his first Eid release. And ever since, Eid was booked for Salman and every film that released on the fateful date became a blockbuster.
- The day 2 collection of Salman’s Bajrangi Bhaijaan was Rs 36.50 crore. With this the superstar’s latest release emerged as the highest ever single day collection for a Salman Khan film.
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan has recorded the 3rd highest weekend collections of all time, behind Shah Rukh Khan’s Happy New Year (2014) and Aamir Khan’s Dhoom 3 (2013).
- Salman Khan’s Bajrangi Bhaijaan have all crossed the 100 crore mark in 3 days at the domestic box office (Indian Box Office).
- Uttar Pradesh government, headed by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, has decided to make Salman Khan’s Bajrangi Bhaijaan tax free in the state.
- Salman learned how to paint from his mother Salma Khan.
- The performance of Bajrangi Bhaijaan at the Box Office has apparently surpassed that of all his previous successes. According to trade experts, the film has broken all the records held by his movies so far, with a box-office collection of INR 250.02 crore in just 11 days.
- Starred in Jackie Shroff Entertainment’s shelved film,”Raju Raja Ram”. Starring Jackie Shroff, Govinda, Salman Khan, Manisha Koirala, Rakesh Bedi. Produced by Jackie Shroff, Avinash Adik, Prakash Jaju. Music by Anu Malik. Directed by David Dhawan. This was in 1997. The film was finally made as Tom Dick and Harry in 2006.
- His uncle, father Salim Khan’s cousin, attempted to become a actor in the 1970’s. He was the actor in Sholay that had the dialogue ” Maalik jitna hain, sab laya hoon”. He was not able to find any stardom.
- Starred in the shelved film Venus’ s “Magroor”(1994). Starring Mithun Chakraborthy. Zeba Bhaktiar, Salman Khan, Johnny Lever. Music by Anu Malik. Directed by Abbas Mustan.
- Starred in the shelved movie, Leo Films International’s Bulund” (1996)Starring Salman Khan,Somy Ali,Danny Denzongpa,Moon Moon Sen,Mohnish Behl,Laxmikant Berde, Prem Chopra, Music by Anand -Milind, Directed by Shahjhan. Reels:14.
- Starred in the shelved movie Shiva Art International’s “Chori Mera Kaam” aka “Half Pant Full Pant”(1995) Starring Salman Khan,Sunil Shetty,Kajol, Shilpa Shetty,Shakti Kapoor, Mohan Joshi,Kader Khan, Music by Anu Malik, Directed by Aziz Sejawal. Reels :6.
- Was to star in TIPS films Untitled Project directed by Rajiv Rai. Co starring Arjun Rampal. This was in 2002.
- After Garv, Puneet Issar started two new films with Salman Khan. He Man and Tabeer – When Dreams Come True. Both films did not go beyond announcement.
- Starred in the shelved film produced by Vijay Galani, the remake of Tamil film Lesa Lesa. The film was going to be directed by Priyadarshan.
- Was writing a script in 2005 titled “Mere Love Story” directed by Samir Karnik There was speculation the script was going to be based on Salman’s love life.
- Signed a film titled “Sautelay” with Rishi Kapoor, directed by Ashok Punjabi. It was based on Rain Man. But when Raja was launched the producers shelved the film. This was due to the similarities in the subject.
- D Rama Naidu wanted to remake the film Bobilli Raja with Salman Khan in 1992. It was the unofficial remake of Hollywood movie “The Gods Must Be Crazy..That film starred Venkatesh and Divya Bharti. D Rama Naidu had finally signed Salman Khan for the official Hindi remake of Bobilli Raja. When Salman got word that Ramesh Lakhiani’s movie Boy Friend was also a unofficial remake of The Gods Must Be Crazy, he approached Ramesh Lakhiani. Salman told Ramesh to scrap his film because he was going to star in the remake of the film produced by D Rama Naidu. Ramesh Lakhiani refused because his film Boy Friend was 90% complete. This angered Salman , but nothing could be done. Salman told D Rama Naidu to scrap the remake. Instead a dubbed Hindi version of Bobilli Raja was released as Rampur Ka Raja.
- Distant cousin Sameer Rahman was engaged to Manisha Koirala in 1993.
- Starred in the shelved film “Saaiyan” (1992). Starring Salman Khan, Pratibha Sinha, Anupam Kher. Directed by Bappi Sonie.
- Starred in the shelved film ” Patanga”(1992). Starring Salman Khan, Neelam,Sheeba, Produced by Amar Savlani, Directed by Jitu Savlani.
- Was signed for Aamir Khan’s role in Ghajini, but he opted out.
- Was offered Shah Rukh Khan’s role in Chak De India. However he rejected.
- Starred in the shelved film “Chaahat” (1991). Starring Salman Khan,Zeba Bhaktiar. Directed by Mahesh Bhatt.
- Starred in the shelved movie “Gherao” (1991). Starring Salman Khan,Manisha Koirala, Tanushree Kaushal. Directed by Rajkumar Santoshi.
- Starred in the shelved film “Ran Kshetra” (1990). Starring Salman Khan, Bhagyashree, Produced by Xavier Marquis,Directed by Dilip Shankar.
- After the flopping of Dacait in 1987, Rahul Rawail wanted to direct a love story with newcomers. He titled the film Kamsin. He screen tested Salman Khan but found him too young looking to be a hero. Years later he made the film as Bekhudi.
- In 1992,producer Sundeep Sethi approached Salman Khan to act in a film with Vinod Khanna, directed by Mahesh Bhatt. Salman refused the film due to a problem Salim Khan had with Mahesh Bhatt during Jurm.
- Was signed for Ayee Milan Ki Raat in 1989. After Maine Pyar Kiya became a hit, Salman left the film.
- Was to leave for a world tour concert with Rekha, Bhagyashree,Bappi Lahiri in September 1990. They were to travel to USA, Canada and UK. The tour got canceled when Rekha’s husband passed away suddenly.
- According to the latest news reports published by English news daily Mumbai Mirror, Race 3 (2018) has bagged a Indian Rs1.3 billion (Dh70 million) satellite rights deal with a major television network, toppling the figure that Aamir Khan secured for his film Dangal. Touted as the highest television deal for a Bollywood film, Race 3 beat Dangal, which was reportedly sold for Rs1.1 billion for its satellite rights. With this development, Race 3 has reportedly recovered its filming costs.
- Has performed all of his stunts in Race 3 all by himself without the use of a body double.
- Drove an expensive Bugatti Veyron in Race 3 without using a body double.
- A film titled “Handsome” was announced in 1990. Starring Salman Khan,Sangeeta Bijlani,Nagma. The film did not go beyond announcement.
- Arbaaz Khan was to debut in a film in a film titled “Footpath” in 1992. This was the reason he turned down the film “Khiladi”. Footpath was eventually shelved. The film starred Salman Khan,Arbaaz Khan, Ritu Shivpuri, Directed by Deepak Shivdsani. The rights to the title was with Mukesh Bhatt. He allowed Deepak permission to use it for his film. Years laters the Bhatts made a film Footpath but with a different storyline.
Personal Quotes (13)
- The only person I have hurt is myself.
- For me acting, comes straight from the heart. In that sense I don’t act at all. I think that to feel the character’s pain I have to be myself. Somewhere audiences see that.
- On his childhood problems and his father’s second marriage to Helen: It was very difficult in the beginning, when everybody was talking about it. My mother just couldn’t take it. It hurt her terribly. She used to worry all the time, go in to depression frequently. When she cried, we children used to cry with her.
- In life go straight and turn right.
- (From a TV-interview) I can get caught in many things but there is one thing I will never get caught in, and that is acting – because I don’t act. On screen I am like I am in real life.
- Why should I marry? One marries to have children, but I already have children! My nieces and nephews are my children. I wanted to marry to make babies, but now I have them, so marriage isn’t that important, is it?
- I’m not possessive, I’m caring… Once you realize a person doesn’t want that much care, you automatically back off.
- [Salman speaking about Rani Mukerji on Big Boss] She [Rani] is one of the best actresses we have in the country… And an amazing dancer… Look at that smile! Love you, Rani.
- Sometimes it happens with me that I start laughing and just can’t stop.
- She [Rani Mukerji] knows who she is and what she can do. After a long time Bollywood has got an actress like Rani. She is naughty, masti khor and a wonderful friend. She has taken acting as her career and given her 100%. Somehow Rani has acting in her genes.
- [on the best actresses from the current crop] There’s Rani, then there’s Preity, Based on work, Aishwarya… Priyanka is very good… Then there are the new girls like Lara and Katrina. [When asked his favorite and the best out the lot] As an actor? Rani Mukerji. [Smiles]
- If I do a film, I should know I’m taking this character back home. I want to do movies that will change my own personality.
- Maybe I am popular because I can do a bit of everything. A bit of dancing, a bit of acting, a bit of action…